Thursday, May 21, 2015

Week 2, Integrating

Step 5: Integrating Steps 1-4

1. Situational Factors:
Admittedly, I had a hard time keep track of everything in my head, including the situational factors, as I thought about learning goals. This is my first time planning a semester-long, credit-bearing class and I'm finding there are a lot of things to think about! But I have been trying to remember the diverse background my students come from when thinking about all of this, especially assessments. And I think that my desire to teach with empathy (the FIDeLity part) fits well with the diverse backgrounds of students I work with.

2. Learning Goals and Feedback & Assessment
I'm realizing that for the semester-long course, I really need to dig into all my learning goals. In fact, I think I need to make them more specific. And then look at assessments for each one. Yikes! That's a big process! :) I think what I posted for Educative Assessment is fine (just looking at one learning goal) but I need to spend more time with all the learning goals and making them more specific before looking at the assessments and feedback.

3. Learning Goals and Teaching/Learning Activities
Like assessments, I think in order to develop learning activities, I'm going to have to spend more time on my learning goals and objectives. I really like the idea of evaluating activities that do not serve a learning goal. I can see myself falling into that trap. I've always tried to start planning my one shot classes with my learning goals but often get sidetracked just trying to get things planned. I'm realizing how much more I need to slow down in my planning so that my classes are even more aligned with my goals.

4. Teaching/Learning Activities and Feedback & Assessment
I've tried to think through a variety of ways to provide feedback. I like the idea of mixing things up and making sure everything goes together. I think students like knowing where they stand on the material, so whether its through regular discussions or activities, I want to give students feedback that is actually helpful to their learning.



Worksheet for Designing a Course 
(Note: this is so helpful for me! :) I'm a linear thinker so having a chart helped a lot! I can see myself using this tool for my semester long class planning and also for one shots.)

Learning Goals:
Ways of Assessing
Activities
Helpful Resources
Students will learn the definition of Information Literacy (IL)
Fill in the blank
One minute paper/quiz

Students will understand that information comes from multiple sources – they will be able to compare different kinds of information
Discussion in class
Have students compare and discuss the information found in different sources (for example, encyclopedia vs. scholarly article) on the same topic

Students will understand that research is a process and apply that process to future assignments 
Simulation
 Ask students to simulate or write down the steps they would take to research a given topic

Students will see IL as part of their every day life, not just classroom research -- they will be able to assess their current information need, whether personal or not
Self reflection
Have students keep a journal on how they see IL on a regular basis. They can reflect on the areas they see themselves evaluating and using information outside of school







No comments:

Post a Comment