Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Week 2, Educative Assessment

Step 3, Worksheet - Procedures for Educative Assessment

1. Forward-Looking Assessment: Formulate one or two ideas for forward-looking assessment. Identify a situation in which students are likely to use what they have learned, and try to replicate that situation with a question, problem, or issue.

In this information literacy course, I hope that students will be able to apply the skills they learn to future classes, research, and/or information needs. One idea to assess this application might be to assign students a potential topic for research and then ask them to write down the process they might follow to research that particular topic. They wouldn't have to actually do the research but rather reflect on the process they might take in the future. Or they might reflect on a research topic for another class they are taking or have taken in the past. This could be a simulation of future research needs and give students a chance to reflect on the steps of the research process in a new scenario.

2. Criteria & Standards: Select on of your main learning goals, and identify at least two criteria that would distinguish exceptional achievement from poor performance. Then write two or three levels of standards for each of these criteria.

One of my learning goals: students will develop critical thinking skills in the areas of source evaluation, information literacy, and the research process..

  • One Criteria -- students will demonstrate quality work in this area by being able to compare and contrast scholarly and popular articles and create lists of those comparisons and contrasts
  • Standard One -- a simple level of understanding occurs when students only are able to name one or two differences between the two types of articles. Or when they simply match article descriptors/adjectives to a particular article.
  • Standard Two -- a higher standard occurs when students don't need to match descriptive words but are able to create a list themselves.

3. Self-Assessment: What opportunities can you create for students to engage in self-assessment of their performance?

Currently, in my one shot classes I often begin class with a think-pair-share activity where I ask students to think about the last time they did research (of any kind) and what went well and what didn't. I could see myself doing similar activities in a semester-long course. I might do something similar every couple weeks, asking students to reflect on what they've learned during the past week or two. Or I might have them reflect on a reading or assignment they did before class. Additionally, I might have students keep some sort of journal or ask them to write and reflect regularly on the research process to see how their views of that process change (or not) over the course of the semester.

4. "FIDeLity" Feedback: What procedures can you develop that will allow you to give students feedback that is:
  • Frequent: I think this can happen in class through activities and quizzes or outside of class through regular assignments. Since I'm still developing this class, I'm still figuring out what this might look like.
  • Immediate: One way I like to do this during one shot sessions is through discussion. (Although with one shots it can often feel like I'm talking to a brick wall!) I suspect that as I'm designing this credit-bearing, semester-long course, I would also build in plenty of time for discussions. This allows for students to see quickly where they are with their learning. I would also like to look at short quizzes like the one we took for this class so that students could see immediately the results.
  • Discriminating (based on clear criteria and standards): A procedure for this feedback would including rubrics with assignments so that students can see what is included in a higher standard of understanding.
  • Lovingly delivered: This is feels the "squishiest" of the feedback categories. I am naturally an empathetic person so I have a harder time thinking through this with concrete procedures. If anything I would probably be too nice and not good about sticking to a procedure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment